IYH Wrestling

Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:28 am 

Jack you we're 100% right Undertaker should never and will never lose at Wrestlemania. Sorry incher Undertaker was never about titles and having to be the top guy. Let him have the streak. It will most likley never be matched. Ending the streak is throwing away 20 years of history. Much like Goldbergs streak. Nobody cared about him after he lost. With Paul Bearer passing, this is def not the year to end it. That said there is only one guy that I would see as a threat and that's John Cena. That could put him over the top as a massive heel much like when Hogan joined the NWO. Anyway, sorry Jack after listening to Swax I must have lost some brain cells to even think Taker would ever lose at nia.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Good man. I am proud of you

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 am 

I thought it could happen, because The Undertaker already achieved 20-0 and Punk losing wouldn't take away that. 21-0 isn't as catchy, anyway. That, and, The Undertaker is apparently very into CM Punk on how he conducts himself in the back in WWE. I thought it could be a way of passing the torch to the new Undertaker of the locker room, the guy who looks out for other talent.

However, I am thinking it doesn't make sense this year, as they've left the build up to only a few weeks before Wrestlemania. Very last minute. It'd be odd for The Undertaker to lose, when there's been so little build to it. That, and holding out until the 30th Wrestlemania would make more sense.

"After our match at Wrestlemania, Undertaker, the only 'streak' that'll be left is in your underpants." - CM Punk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:29 pm 

i think he wins now, but a rematch could give it to Punk.

I was always of Jack's thinking but Punk is a guy who could end the streak.

I dont think you would let a "new" guy like a Dean Ambrose win, you never know how that persons career might end up. Punk is a legit HoF I think when he wraps up his career.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

That is the point though. If he is already there, it does no good in giving Punk the win. It takes more away from Taker than gives anything to Punk.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:43 pm 

Plus wasn't punk saying he only had a few years left. Would be bad for him to win and then leave.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 pm 

Yeah, I dunno. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. One day he will wrap up the career. Who he should lose to at THAT time, end the streak, hard to say, when that time comes someone might be in a good position to be the guy. And maybe it is Dean Ambrose.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

I don't see how you are damned if you don't have Taker lose. You make fans happy, add to Taker's legacy. He can come back and you have an instant match at another mania. If he retires with it in tact, it's something you can talk about forever. Sell DVDs, write about etc. Even in retirement he is valuable to the company. If he loses it's all over, nobody cares about 20 and 1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:58 pm 

Jack wrote:
I don't see how you are damned if you don't have Taker lose. You make fans happy, add to Taker's legacy. He can come back and you have an instant match at another mania. If he retires with it in tact, it's something you can talk about forever. Sell DVDs, write about etc. Even in retirement he is valuable to the company. If he loses it's all over, nobody cares about 20 and 1.

well they might care about the guy who beats him...

my issue with it is that you can make a guy with this win, you can make a good story with this win, you could make a NEW "dark character"... there is a lot of potential behind a win over Taker, but I also see your side of it, he can come back every so often, not even every year, for a match

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

But, you aren't gonna make anything new with Punk.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:15 pm 

I think there is more of a risk with someone beating taker. Only guy I thought had a chance was orton when he was doing his legend killer thing. Someone could beat taker and then either not get over and or leave. That would be a waste. There was talk for a long time to have ted dibiase be that guy and look how he turned out. Again I'm with jack taker should never lose. But I do think john cena causes the only threat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 pm 

There's also the possible scenario of having someone come out and cause a dirty finish leading to Taker's streak being broken. It would preserve the legacy and give someone a huge amount of heat.
And, please, let Taker retire. How many more times are we gonna ask this guy with two hip-replacements and a myriad of other issues to come back and beat himself up?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:28 pm 

IMO, in order for Taker losing at Mania to be worthwhile, he would have to continue to do a program after the PPV with whoever beat him and get redemption or something. At this point, though, Taker's body is so messed up that he probably wouldn't be able to work a lengthy program again. That being said, I don't think he should lose at Mania at this point in time. However, if he were able to commit to a 3 month program or something like that after Mania, I could see him losing. Then, he could work a program with the winner all the way to summerslam, work a huge summerslam redemption match, and then retire or something. It could be an awesome program. They won't do that, though.

I also don't think Punk should be the one to beat him. If anyone was going to beat him it should've been Michaels or Triple H or one of the other old school WWF guys, but it was obvious that they weren't going to do that because they wanted to get the streak up to that nice round 20. I don't think that it would really make sense for any of the new guys to get the win. The only way I could see it happening this year is if there's a no-dq match and Punk gets the Shield to help him beat down Taker to try to get the win. Then, it could lead to a program with Punk vs. Triple H or something. That'd be something I'd like to see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:29 pm 

oldskool wrote:
There's also the possible scenario of having someone come out and cause a dirty finish leading to Taker's streak being broken. It would preserve the legacy and give someone a huge amount of heat.
And, please, let Taker retire. How many more times are we gonna ask this guy with two hip-replacements and a myriad of other issues to come back and beat himself up?

Yeah, a dirty win in order to create heat on whoever stole the win would probably be the best scenario. That could lead to almost any type of program after Mania.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:59 pm 

I hear what you guys are saying, but in my opinion, a dirty win would generate some heat, but that heat isn't sure to last. The Undertaker's streak is already cemented in his legacy and is a for sure merchandise seller. WWE can sell shirts pertaining to "the streak" for years to come, even after Undertaker hangs it up. A 20-1 shirt for CM Punk, or a 21-1 shirt for whoever faces him next year may sell until the following year's mania, but then it's done, you can no longer milk that cow anymore. Then, as Jack said, Taker has no reason to come back. He will probably take a year or two off after WM 30. But whenever he decides to come back after that, even 5 years from then, they can quickly promote the streak to generate interest, even with the new fans who may not by then even know who he is.

I do agree that Cena is a suitable opponent for the streak. It does put a little doubt in my head. I know Undertaker would win, but Cena is the golden boy, if they are going to have someone break the streak, it would be him. I like that idea because it's believable that Cena might win, but at the end of the day, you have to go with The Deadman. A loss for Cena at Wrestlemania is a loss, while a loss for Taker at Wrestlemania is a complete dead end for something that is still meaningful and still very profitable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 pm 

If Cena ends the streak I'll probably shit myself

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 am 
Site Admin

Having someone screw him is an even worse idea IMO. No one gains anything from that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:28 am 

I think he should lose, and I think he will.

B. Spec_Productions, Inc. - Be Spectacular
"Love Shack" - The B-52's (1989)
http://www.youtube.com/MrBrightWave
http://www.youtube.com/SpectacularSunset
IYH is bringing the moniker, professional wrestling, back to form!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:25 pm 

Jack wrote:
Having someone screw him is an even worse idea IMO. No one gains anything from that.

no way, it would get good heat :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 pm 

no a screw job would be awful.... screw job or clean loss or never lose? I would go clean loss, never lose, and screw job would be the last thing.

You wanna do screw job it better be a HUGE angle/storyline or else it will be an infamous as opposed to famous moment in pro-wrestling booking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:33 pm 

You're a total mark-whore if you think Taker is gonna lose this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:57 am 

Looking forward to the match but taker will be 21-0.

'Britains Little Muffin'
IYH Hall of Famer
and the man whose wrestling views are the best in the world

@nikhilkalhan92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:01 am 

Madman Maple wrote:

Or any year for that matter. For all of the discussion/arguing about it, its a moot point.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:02 am 

JFTR wrote:
Madman Maple wrote:

Or any year for that matter. For all of the discussion/arguing about it, its a moot point.

Pretty much