IYH Wrestling

Message Board
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:13 am 

This is one that the I.W.C is going to have to carry this load alot like the loss of the "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes.

Quote:
Roddy Piper dies at age 61

Cageside Gene Mrosko & Yahoo Turnstile
Quote:

TMZ Sports is reporting that Roddy Piper, a pro wrestling legend and member of the WWE Hall of Fame, has died at the age of 61.
From the report:

Piper -- born Roderick George Toombs -- passed away from natural causes at a home in Hollywood. Piper was a wrestling icon -- one of the biggest stars in the WWE back in the '80s, and even wrestled in "Wrestlemania I" back in 1985 ... squaring off against Hulk Hogan and Mr. T. Piper had been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2006, but last November he said he was cancer free.

Piper was an integral part of the WWE becoming what it is today, working as the heel foil to the rising star that was Hulk Hogan when Vince McMahon was using WrestleMania to create an empire.

We'll have more on this in just a bit.

UPDATE: TMZ is now reporting that Piper died of cardiac arrest in his sleep last night and was discovered today.

[url]http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/7/31/9082639/roddy-piper-dies-age-61-wwe[url]

Yahoo Turnstile

Quote:
Wrestling superstar "Rowdy" Roddy Piper has died at age 61. Multiple reports indicate that Piper died in his sleep from a heart attack.

"Rod passed peacefully in his sleep last night," Piper's agent Jay Schacter told Variety. “I am shocked and beyond devastated.”

Upon learning of his death, WWE chairman Vince McMahon tweeted that Piper was "one of the most entertaining, controversial and bombastic performers ever in WWE beloved by millions of fans around the world."

Piper, whose real name was Roddy Toombs, is a member of the WWE Hall of Fame, and was one of the core members of the '80s-era WWE (then known as the WWF). Born in Saskatchewan, Canada, Piper competed in the very first Wrestlemania, working a faux-Scottish angle in a tag-team match (along with Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff) against Hulk Hogan and Mr. T, and quickly became one of the sport's most hated villains.

Piper's rivalries with Hogan, Jimmy Snuka and even Cyndi Lauper set the tone for the WWF, helping the wrestling organization achieve the nationwide prominence that it enjoys to this day.

Piper's key gimmick was "Piper's Pit," a mock talk show in which Piper would sit down with fellow wrestlers to talk out the issues of the day. Naturally, the talk lasted less than a minute before the fists flew. Here's a representative installment from 1984, where Piper interviewed Sgt. Slaughter:

Piper's Pit is now silent

Just last week, Piper was on the Rich Eisen Show, talking of his life and times as well as his old rival Hulk Hogan:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5FZCkyTq0Y[/youtube]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-turnstile/wrestling-superstar-roddy-piper-dead-at-61-224152886.html

WWe reaction to Piper's Passing
https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/the-turnstile/wwe-reacts-to--rowdy--roddy-piper-s-death-232126517.html

Farewell Roddy Piper, back in the day wasn't a fan of you but as the years advanced. Then one sees the whole picture of wrestling you appreciate the determination, heart, and skills you brought to the ring. Movies that you did was full of action like John Carpenter's "They Live".

Roddy, now you get to see Keith Franke, Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, and others that have gone before you in that great wrestling ring in the sky....

Got a friend that I'll have to break this to, he's a big Piper fan, this news is goin' to hit him hard...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:19 pm 

He retired full time at wrestlemania 3 and made special appearances in the 90's. He never stopped entertaining and never stopped keeping us talking. He's probably causing controversy in heaven now. "Hey Moses, Peter tried to blackball me at the pearly gates. Brother I love you". The legend will be missed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:25 pm 

Very sad my dad is around the same age my childhood memory of him is wrestling that match against Goldust at Wrestlemania

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:25 pm 

Rest in Peace Hot Rod.