IYH Wrestling

Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:53 pm 

For me I'd say Dino bravo. A midcard just ain't a midcard without Dino Bravo. Wcw I'd say the z man. You have them on your ppv and your card was complete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:59 pm 

For me, the best mid card guys were the ones who had the abilities to be main eventers, but for various reasons, political or otherwise, didn't make it;

Ken Patera was main eventer during the territory days, but because of a run in with the police, torpedoed his career before he could become a main event heel in the WWF.

Ricky Steamboat may be the best babyface of all time, a former NWA Champion, who never made it to the main event picture in the WWF because he took time off (while he was Intercontinental Champion) to be with his newborn son, and that didn't sit well with Vince McMahon.

R. Truth (Ron the Truth Killings) during his heel run with the Miz (Awesome Truth) had the potential to become a main eventer but Vince McMahon thinks guys like him, and New Day, and Brodus Clay etc. should be out there singing, dancing and clowning around, not to mention wearing Confederate costumes (remember that episode of Raw ?)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:05 pm 

I might get flack for this, but Mr. Perfect. Outside of a short period he never really hit that main event level, but he was excellent in the midcard role

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:45 pm 

President Clinton wrote:
I might get flack for this, but Mr. Perfect. Outside of a short period he never really hit that main event level, but he was excellent in the midcard role

I agree with you Pres.

Curt Henning beat the recently departed Nick Bockwinkel to win the AWA title during the territory days and you could see back then that he had what it takes to be a main eventer. When he went to the WWF, he could have become a main event heel during the post-Hulk Hogan era (1994 - when Hogan went to WCW) during a feud with babyface Bret Hart for the WWF title, but then along came another former AWA guy, Sean Michaels, and there was no room for Curt Henning in that main event picture.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:03 am 

Rob Van Dam is my fav wrestler, and outside of a brief WWE title run he's pretty much the ultimate midcarder. Granted, in ECW he was kind of above that even while holding a midcard belt. He's like an upper card midcarder, an anomaly. His WWE run was pretty much a perfect example of midcard wrestler doing well.

To pick more of an underdog, I'll give an honorable mention to Christopher Daniels.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:33 pm 

Why Daniels never became TNA World Champion is a mystery. He could have had quite the feud with AJ Styles over that title and it would have put eyeballs on TNA that they desperately needed.

He never had a chance in WCW, and there is no way that he would make it anywhere near the main event picture in the WWE.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:10 pm 

99% of the WWE roster today are portrayed as mid carders or worse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:03 pm 

Changed Man wrote:
99% of the WWE roster today are portrayed as mid carders or worse

And the reasons for this include;

1. Parity booking - you win this match, I win the next match and then we have a third match to decide who's the best. And who gets over at the end of the feud? Nobody.

2. Focus on the Authority - How is anybody supposed to get over when HHH and Stephanie start (what seems like) every show with one or both of them coming to the ring and doing nothing more than standing there with microphones in their hands and talking for fifteen minutes or more?

3. Scripted promos - Written by people who know absolutely nothing about the wrestling business, all the talking in the WWE does little to endear the talent to the fans. Sufferin SUCK - o - tash Roman Reigns ! Give the talent bullet points and send them out there to sink or swim on their own.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record but I just don't have the enthusiasm for WWE like I used to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:54 pm 

You know what's missing? Squash matches. WWF programming used to showcase mid-carders and above in 2-3 minute matches against jobbers. Then something would happen to create heat, and the mid-carders would feud to a climax at MSG, the winner moving up to eventually challenge someone higher. It made sense, probably due to the time frame needed to create the heat. Good feuds SHOULD take months to play out, or even longer. The best squash match/series ever? Razor vs the Kid, I'd say. They needed something to make folks watch their new show, and that by gosh did it. I remember seeing the Kid come in for several weeks, changing his name and attitude each week, until OMG he pinned Razor, and the rest of that feud was on. It lasted a long time, and was a key impetus for me to watch MNR. Nowadays, feuds start (usually for some random reason, like someone coming out to interrupt a match for no reason other than the fact they've been booked for the PPV), simmer, and are resolved in the 3 weeks between PPVs. It's that simmer time that is lacking.

Of course times had already changed by then, and the formula just may not hold up today because of the instant access we have to matches, PPVs, results, etc. But I do feel that it has at least a place even today. There are no jobbers. At least the ones we have are disguised as mid-carders. And true mid-carders are disguised as potential superstars (until they wrestle -- and lose to -- Cena). Too bad all that matters is how much merch you sell rather than your ability.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:01 pm 

realIOWA wrote:
You know what's missing? Squash matches. WWF programming used to showcase mid-carders and above in 2-3 minute matches against jobbers. Then something would happen to create heat, and the mid-carders would feud to a climax at MSG, the winner moving up to eventually challenge someone higher. It made sense, probably due to the time frame needed to create the heat. Good feuds SHOULD take months to play out, or even longer.

Of course times had already changed by then, and the formula just may not hold up today because of the instant access we have to matches, PPVs, results, etc. But I do feel that it has at least a place even today. There are no jobbers. At least the ones we have are disguised as mid-carders. And true mid-carders are disguised as potential superstars (until they wrestle -- and lose to -- Cena). Too bad all that matters is how much merch you sell rather than your ability.

you'd think that with THREE HOURS to fill every single week that WWE couldn't put a few squash matches on Raw to build up some of their potential main eventers, instead of doing what they do now, which is to pit potential main eventer against potential main eventer, thereby failing to get either guy over. They can do this because they have older talents like R. Truth, Samoa Joe, Rhyno on their rosters who can go against anyone and put them over. Yes they become jobbers, but it's not new. After he won a handful of WWWF tag team titles, Tony Garea became a jobber to the stars in the 80s. When he went to the WWF following the purchase of Georgia Championship Wrestling, Mr. Wrestling II worked squash matches on WWF Superstars. Years after challenging Bob Backlund for the WWF title, Playboy Buddy Rose worked squash matches on TV. I could go on, but the point is, they have the roster to get guys over but they don't do it. I don't understand why they don't do this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:44 pm 

Quote:
Stephen: you'd think that with THREE HOURS to fill every single week that WWE couldn't put a few squash matches on Raw to build up some of their potential main eventers, instead of doing what they do now, which is to pit potential main eventer against potential main eventer, thereby failing to get either guy over.

If I am not mistaken, I once saw a Smackdown that had exactly 2 matches over the 2 hours. Sheesh.

I would think that very few jobbers have a merchandise line, and those that do struggle (That line might make for collectors items if/when they breakthrough, though. Wish I had one of van Dam's items from the NWC from the 90's). But a good jobber is a GREAT WATCH, no matter who he's putting over! And when you get jobber on a soon to be former jobber, I am thoroughly entertained. I know I'm I'm not the only one. And I think that's what they just don't accept. The Brawler and the Inferno put butts in seats (ANY butts are enough to crow about, because the jobbers aren't expected to do so).

Another thing -- there doesn't have to be some sort of interference in EVERY match. You can continue story lines without them. But WWE has their formula, as stale as it is.

One more little factoid; Raw has been getting a rating less than 3 for awhile. Remember the numbers from the Monday Night Wars? They should be striving for a 10. Maybe there's a reason viewage is down. Oh yeah. Money for the investors, right?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:51 pm 

Another thing -- there doesn't have to be some sort of interference in EVERY match. You can continue story lines without them. But WWE has their formula, as stale as it is.

One more little factoid; Raw has been getting a rating less than 3 for awhile. Remember the numbers from the Monday Night Wars? They should be striving for a 10. Maybe there's a reason viewage is down. Oh yeah. Money for the investors, right?[/quote]

The formula is BORING and PREDICTABLE, turning hardcore fans like me, who've been watching wrestling on TV since 1974, off. There was a time when I would move heaven and earth to watch Monday Night Raw (during the Austin era). However, today, I find the show so boring that I will intentionally skip it, and I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same way. That's a good reason why viewership is down.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:30 am 

The formula sucks. They try to do too much. The announcing sucks. In the old days, Ronnie Garvin would beat up some jobbers. The announcers would say they think he might be able to have Ric Flairs number. Garvin talks shit about Flair, Flair talks shit about Garvin. We wait for next week. Wrestling should be fun to talk about. Remember Dusty's special boot. Remember Luger was a chicken shit heel but was Stings best friend at the same time. What side was he on. I'd feel like an idiot today talking to someone at work about the authority. If you do care about something these days, you won't in a month. Examples, Daniel Brian when he was hot or stings return this year

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:56 pm 

RIP Iron Mike Sharpe. He was hilarious. Dunno if he was ever midcard status.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:28 pm 

realIOWA wrote:
RIP Iron Mike Sharpe. He was hilarious. Dunno if he was ever midcard status.

Iron Mike Sharpe was an effective mid card wrestler during the territory days. I watched him on All Star Wrestling in BC as a babyface and heel at the start of his career. My best memory of Sharpe was Bobby Bass ramming his head into the Iron Sheik's horn rimmed boot and busting his head open. He had a run in his early time in the WWWF, including a match against Bob Backlund, but by the time Vince Jr. took over, Sharpe was an enhancement talent, a.k.a. a jobber.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:25 pm 

I liked Glenn Gilberti, the disco inferno. He was like the plucky comic relief of WCW, and a good heel wrestler who did his job like a pro, and down the line his behind the scenes work has been praised again and again. He was just on the show and preached total wrestling truth. Great mid card wrestler.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:41 am 

True, true.