IYH Wrestling

Message Board
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:59 pm 

Here are some of my thoughts coming out of the 2016 Royal Rumble, prior to tonight's Monday Night Raw;

- What does it say about Roman Reigns when he's not the last guy that HHH eliminated to win the Rumble? To me, it doesn't say much, especially since the crowd turned on Roman, again. If they book a WrestleMania match between HHH and Roman, I think the crowd in Texas will cheer the heel HHH and boo the face Roman. And if they do, I'm going to love every single moment of it.

- I sound like a broken record but Dean Ambrose is MONEY MONEY MONEY. He may not fit the bill for main event star, but he has all the goods to be a bigger star than Roman, and the fact that he was the last guy that HHH eliminated sets up Hunter's first title defense at Fast Lane next month.

- Alberto del Rio VS Kalisto. Hot potatoes all around with the belt.

- Becky and Charlotte both showed in that pre-match video that they still need work. It was not the best match they've had, with no Figure 8. Finish sucked.

- And now the Rumble. Biggest surprise was the crowd's chanting for AJ Styles. I was so happy to see him, and that he lasted a half an hour in the Rumble. Like Kevin Owens said, welcome to the WWE. WrestleMania match for AJ against Kevin Owens. Book it. If not him, then book Kevin Owens Vs. Sami Zayn. Better yet, book a triple threat match with all three. I'm most excited to see feuds with these guys.

- Brock's WrestleMania opponent appears to be Bray Wyatt, with Bray being the Jobber to the Stars again. I think it would be better for Bray to beat Brock but I doubt it'll happen. Despite the way Raw ended last week, with Bray standing tall over Roman and Brock, it seemed that all that meaningless because Brock dumped the Wyatts with little fanfare.

- Jericho lasted the longest, but got tossed by Ambrose. Possible next feud? Maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:13 pm 

Isn't Styles from Orlando? It sure sounded like a hometown pop, which would make it less surprising. And, as a matter of fact, I think the one on one between Styles and Reigns is what turned the crowd against Reigns, rooting for the hometown boy. Saxon did the Joey Styles "Oh My God" pretty well. That was cool. I don't think it's wise to carry someone from the ring area only to have them come back. They need to stay out there, even if it's just to sell the recovery.

Per previous years, Miz should have been eliminated for not entering the ring within his 2 minutes.

First line from our group when they came out: What a joke! Referring to Mark Henry and Show. They lasted about that long, too.

I agree about Ambrose, and always have. I think the last man out/last man standing gig was a nice paycheck, push beside the fact.

Owens limping to the ring was great, but he should have sold it the rest of the match. First thing he did was kick with that leg, and then didn't sell it on the way out. Was the limp a kayfabe swerve? I suppose.

I doubt there are any plans for Jericho beyond Wrestlemania, and possibly even going forward from here.

HHH -- well, I'm going to hope one more time that there is a real plan ahead that makes me go wow. I dunno if it is a numbers thing, an ego thing, or a genuinely thought out storyline that ... oh, never mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:37 pm 

realIOWA wrote:
Isn't Styles from Orlando? It sure sounded like a hometown pop, which would make it less surprising. And, as a matter of fact, I think the one on one between Styles and Reigns is what turned the crowd against Reigns, rooting for the hometown boy.

I don't think it's wise to carry someone from the ring area only to have them come back. They need to stay out there, even if it's just to sell the recovery.

First line from our group when they came out: What a joke! Referring to Mark Henry and Show. They lasted about that long, too.

I agree about Ambrose, and always have. I think the last man out/last man standing gig was a nice paycheck, push beside the fact.

I doubt there are any plans for Jericho beyond Wrestlemania, and possibly even going forward from here.

HHH -- well, I'm going to hope one more time that there is a real plan ahead that makes me go wow. I dunno if it is a numbers thing, an ego thing, or a genuinely thought out storyline that ... oh, never mind.

- The Orlando crowd still likes AJ from his TNA days and I hope that WWE lets AJ use the name AJ Styles instead of changing it to a WWE copyrighted name. You make a good point about AJ VS Roman, but the fact is, despite WWE's best efforts, crowds on the whole have not yet embraced Roman like WWE wants them to, and I am skeptical that they will. It just seems like John Cena version 2.0 with Roman.

- And yes, they should have just let Roman lie out there on the broken table, with the camera going back to him periodically as the Rumble went on to watch him recover and climb back into the ring. That would have been better.

- WWE Hall of Fame class of 2017 should include Big Show and Mark Henry.

- Main event for Fast Lane should be HHH defending the title against Ambrose. We'll see if they set this up on Raw tonight.

- As I expect HHH to retain the belt if he wrestles Ambrose, I hope that Chris Jericho, as a much needed heel on the WWE roster, puts Ambrose over at WrestleMania to elevate Dean and show that Dean Ambrose is a legitimate main eventer.

- It certainly looks like they're building it to a HHH VS Roman match at WrestleMania, possibly being in the main event spot, with Roman getting the win and the title to close the show. If this is the (very predictable) plan, I think that it could blow up in WWE's faces because the Texas crowd could turn on him too. We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:51 am 

I enjoyed everything except for the del rio match. I was glad people knew who a.j. styles was. Dean Ambrose is so original. He is so nonboring. Everything he does is creative. It would have been fun to see him win the rumble. They don't have the balls because that would force creative writing. Triple H keeps himself in the best shape and that dude is a pure pro. I was just thinking about starting back watching raw until he won. You know damn well there's going to be a nice 20 minute monologue tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:14 am 

Quote:
- It certainly looks like they're building it to a HHH VS Roman match at WrestleMania, possibly being in the main event spot, with Roman getting the win and the title to close the show. If this is the (very predictable) plan, I think that it could blow up in WWE's faces because the Texas crowd could turn on him too. We'll see.

If this scenario happens, it would be a perfect time for a heel turn. "I've worked my ass off ... not appreciated ... blah blah." I doubt they (WWE) are brave enough to play that angle by ear anymore. But then before the attitude era, I used to get pissed all the time about their angles, and they usually swerved me good just as I was ready to quit watching. You know, that OMG moment I've discussed elsewhere, and just gotta watch the next show. I haven't had that feeling for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:12 am 

Well, having now seen raw, I am reminded how the raw after a ppv always seemed to be almost as good as the ppv itself. Sort of a bone for those fans who couldn't/wouldn't afford it. Usually the real title change to correct the drama of the ppv.

I guess I'm just living in the past again.